Discrimination in Public Accommodations

All persons are entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of places of public accommodation without discrimination or segregation because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.

Places of “public accommodation” include any establishment or place to which the public is invited or which is intended for public use, such as:

*hotels, restaurants, bars, gas stations, casinos, theaters

*retail stores, banks, barber/beauty shops, hospitals/clinics

*offices of accountants, lawyers, doctors, insurance agents

*airports, bus or train depots

*bowling alleys, amusement parks, zoos, stadiums, convention centers

*parks, health clubs/spas, educational institutions, social service providers

Places of public accommodation DO NOT include any private club or other establishment not open to the public.

Businesses may offer discounts or special prices to senior citizens, children, or students, and may impose age limits up to age 21. Businesses may offer differential pricing, discounted pricing, or special offers based upon sex if used to promote or market the place of public accommodation.

Housing Discrimination

Nevada law prohibits discrimination in housing because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, national origin, or familial status. Discrimination may involve the availability of housing, lease terms, security deposits, privileges of residency, purchase terms, interest rates or insurance rates. Landlords must also make reasonable accommodations for tenants with disabilities and must allow disabled tenants to make reasonable alterations to the unit at the tenant’s expense.

Remedies for housing discrimination under state law are different than federal remedies. Contact the Nevada Equal Rights Commission to file a complaint or for more information.

The federal Fair Housing Act also prohibits discrimination in housing based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and familial status. Contact the US Department of Housing and Urban Affairs (HUD) at 1-800-347-3739 or at http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/index.cfm for additional information about the protections under federal law.

Types of Employment Discrimination

The Equal Rights Commission may investigate many types of charges of discrimination in the workplace. The most common types of discrimination include:

Equal Pay
Gender Identity or Expression
National Origin
Sexual Harassment
Sexual Orientation

What Information Must Be Provided to File a Charge?

Your name, address, and telephone number;

The name, address, and telephone number of the respondent employer, employment agency, or union that is alleged to have discriminated, and number of employees (or union members), if known;

A short description of the alleged violation (the event that caused the complaining party to believe that his or her rights were violated);

The date(s) of the alleged violation(s); and

Your date of birth if you are filing on the basis of age; your race or national origin if you are filing on the basis of race or national origin.

To file a complaint of discrimination with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), instead of the Nevada Equal Rights Commission, call 1-800-669-4000. Federal employees or applicants for federal employment must contact EEOC at 202-663-4599.

Equal Rights Commission On-line Complaint Form

This Complaint Form is for employment-related discrimination complaints only. For Public Accommodation or Housing complaints, please refer to:

Discrimination in Public Accommodations

Housing Discrimination

Equal Rights Commission Las Vegas
1820 East Sahara Avenue
Suite 314
Las Vegas, NV 89104
Phone (702) 486-7161
Fax (702) 486-7054

Equal Rights Commission Northern Nevada
1325 Corporate Blvd.
Room 115
Reno, NV 89502
Phone (775) 823-6690
Fax (775) 688-1292